July 21, 2011

Short Story: Pictures of You

Sitting quietly at the computer and a little message pops up. An exultant smile crosses her face when the identity is recognized. He’s remembered her again and she cannot contain her glee.

They message each other for several moments. All she has of him is a handful of digital photos. And she wonders what he's like in real life.

“I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real"

Never felt his caress, nor walked beside him in the afternoon sun.

But they know each other - he knows several of the secrets she doesn't share with everyone. Their ideals are similar, their tastes are strangely equal. She is able to be herself once more.

The moments before the PC quickly become an hour spent online.

She tries to express herself as best she can but there’s only so much that the keyboard can convey.

By the end of the conversation they share good nights and before turning off her computer she once more looks at the pictures he’s sent her. And sighs.

"I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel”

1 comment: