July 20, 2011

Of Two Grandfathers

Moises:
My Grandfather was a wonderful man
Don't ask what university he went to
for he did not even attend High School
His life was one of hard labor,
feeding and raising nine children
with crafted carpenter hands and a backbone made of steel


Ramon:
My Grandfather is an inspirational man
Because his feet set down his feet in a distant land
to fight in a foreign war crossed the line, survived
He raised his three children in the boroughs of New York
and taught them values of respect and strong morals


My Grandfathers were both men of dignity
They led imperfect lives with many mistakes
Perhaps filled with more regrets than I can begin to imagine
And now when I can understand better the complexities of mankind
I wish I'd spent been able to more time with both of them


Rest In Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment